At Clínica Dental Crooke & Laguna we want to inform you about the new technique against sleep apnea, available in our clinics.
This jaw advancement splint is a new patented intraoral device, especially indicated in the treatment of snoring and sleep apnea syndrome.
The mechanism of action is based on a controlled and comfortable advancement of the jaw, by increasing the muscle tone at the airway level; it helps the air flow eliminating snoring and improving the episodes of apnea thus improving the quality of life of patients.
The efficacy of intraoral appliances for the treatment of these problems is widely supported by numerous scientific studies.
Characteristics of the splint:
- It is comfortable and easy to use
- It is made to measure for each patient with an ergonomic and comfortable design.
- Its manufacture is based on biocompatible materials (titanium, thermoplastics).
- It can be easily adjusted.
- It allows the movements of the mouth, and functions like talking, drinking, coughing, without too many limitations.
- It produces adequate breathing by completely eliminating snoring in many cases.
- It is indicated for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep disorders such as apnea.
- Total mobility for greater comfort.
- In addition, with OrthoApnea the paicnete can open the mouth to breathe, drink or talk.
What is sleep apnea?
During sleep, the muscles responsible for keeping the airway permeable suffer a relaxation, the airflow at the pharynx level is difficult, that´s why we snore. In many cases, a lack of airflow causes a drop in oxygen levels in the blood, the brain is alerted by this decline of oxygen causing interruptions of sleep throughout the night.
This oxygen deficiency generates symptoms such as hypersomnolence, generalized tiredness, depression, etc. In general, the risk of certain diseases such as hypertension, heart attack, thromboembolism, diabetes type II, etc. increases.
The hypersomnolence, memory loss, and mood alterations affect personal, work and social life of the patient, not to mention the risk of suffering a work-related accident or traffic if falls asleep while driving a vehicle.
What does it produce?
Sleep apnea can lead to major health problems: fatigue, depression, lack of concentration and memory loss, impaired libido, hypertension, stroke (cerebral attack, myocardial attack, thromboembolism, etc.), reducing the life expectancy of those who suffer from it.
The main symptoms are strong and chronic snoring, respiratory interruptions and tiredness (feeling of haven’t slept well).
The incidence of snoring in people over 40 years old is:
In addition, the incidence of apnea after 40 years old is 6% in men and 4% in women, reaching up to 25% at 65 years.
How does this affect our body?
Pathologies associated with sleep apnea syndrome such as:
- Attention problems
- Tiredness during the day
- Fall asleep at inappropriate times
- Gastric reflux
- Increased risk of heart attack
- Memory, concentration problems
- Muscle pain / fatigue
- Weight gain